Highjack Your Hunger with Mindful Eating
How many times have you sat in front of the TV with a bag of chips and before you knew it the entire bag was empty? Or finished dinner feeling so stuffed and bloated that you have to unbutton your pants? It is safe to say that your were probably distracted and don’t even remember inhaling all of that food. Am I right or am I right? This is a perfect example of how eating with distractions can sabotage your goals. Most of the time we completely forget to enjoy the food we consume because we scarf it down while driving, running from place to place, watching TV or scrolling our Insta feed. Imagine what would happen if we just took a minute to sit down and actually be present while we eat? I’ll tell you what will happen, your food will taste better and you will eat less! Sounds like a win win to me!
I am sure you have heard the term “mindful eating”. If you haven’t, mindful eating is simply paying attention while you eat. Most of us eat way past the point of being full because while our bodies are ingesting food, our minds are on another planet somewhere. How do we bring our brains back to our plate so we can stop overeating and start shifting towards our healthiest, most badass bodies? There are some easy strategies you can use to highjack your hunger and eat more mindfully. Without further ado, here are 7 ways to be more present at the pate:
1. Sit at a table (not on the couch) and eat your food with no distractions. Turn off the TV, put your phone away, close your laptop and focus on eating your meal.
2. Have a moment of silence before you eat. Say grace or just show gratitude for the meal you are about to enjoy.
3. Use your silverware properly! Cut your food into smaller portions and put your fork down between bites. This will encourage you to slow down so you can recognize when you are starting to feel full.
4. Channel your inner food critic. Really taste each bite and try to differentiate the different flavors and textures. Think about what you like about each flavor combination.
5. CHEW your food! This seems obvious but most of us don’t actually completely chew our food before we swallow it. Try to avoid swallowing your bite until the food has turned to mush and has lost all of it’s consistency. For extra credit, wait until you have swallowed before taking a drink.
6. When your plate is half way finished, take a break and analyze the satiation situation. How do you feel? Are you full? Are you still hungry? How is this meal making you feel as you eat it? If you are no longer hungry, STOP EATING! Take the rest to go!
7. Enlist the 2 bite rule for dessert. By the time we get to dessert, we are only eating for enjoyment and we are not hungry anymore. This means we are just TASTING our yummy indulgence. Two satisfying bites are all you need so take your time and make them count!
For more on how shifting your mindset can shape the body of your dreams check out my new program, 360 Shift a 21 Day Transformation of your Mind and Body!